How to Apply for Funding
LITE funds initiatives that directly create jobs, or leverage new jobs, and that include skill development for inner city residents who are unemployed or underemployed. Individuals participating in these initiatives face multiple barriers to full employment (for example, at-risk youth, single mothers, ex-offenders, etc).
We divide our funding between Purchases (mostly of Christmas hamper goods) from inner-city co-ops (about 50%), and Grants to non-profit initiatives (about 50%).
In order to receive funding from LITE your organization must be:
a) Based in Winnipeg
b) A registered charity with a charitable number.
Our disbursement criteria ensure that we pursue our mission “to promote community economic development by supporting inner-city initiatives in Winnipeg that build capacity and provide jobs.”
We choose our recipients based on the following criteria:
- How well the project fits with LITE’s mission statement and the guiding principles of Community Economic Development (CED)
- How much the project contributes towards directly creating jobs, leveraging new jobs (such as through funding a coordinator position), or funds job-skill development. What we don’t fund are things like tools, supplies, and other capital.
- How strongly the project creates sustainable and long-term employment.
- How well the project addresses multiple barriers to employment.
- How sustainable the project would be without LITE funding, as we have limited funds and want our partnerships to be meaningfully chosen.
Is your organization or business seeking funding?
Download a Grant APPLICATION form (Deadline: January 31, 2013 – Grants)
Download a Project Budget template (for CED Grant Applications)
Download A Purchase APPLICATION form (Deadline: Sept 27, 2013 – Purchases)
If you are already a LITE partner, do you need to report on previous funding?
Download a GRANT REPORTING form to report on funding received in 2012 (Deadline: January 15, 2013 - Grants).
Download a PURCHASE REPORTING form to report on funding received in 2011 (Deadline: September 27, 2013 - Purchases).
Do you have questions about applying or reporting? If so, please contact us.
LITE’s Star Blanket Project
Every fall, LITE purchases beautiful star blankets from local aboriginal businesses & co-operatives to donate to Winnipeg charities. The goal of this project is to support local businesses while helping non-profit organizations in their fundraising initiatives.
Download a Star Blanket Application (Deadline: November 01, 2013).